The extension presents itself as an almost monolithic brick wall with three openings.
Fortfield Drive and its neighbouring streets were constructed in the late 1930’s on the former grounds of Fortfield House (built in 1785 and demolished in 1934). These semi-detached houses display slightly varying styles along the length of the street. Our client’s house features a covered porch and a small circular window to the stairs landing. The original layout of the house was largely intact when we were appointed, apart from a basic single-storey flat roofed kitchen and garage extension to the rear.
Our client’s brief was to provide new and improved spaces for a growing family. Having developed various options, our final design involved replacing the old extension with a new single-storey, gable-fronted volume with a pitched zinc roof. This element allowed the existing spaces to the rear of the house to be enlarged and reconfigured to accommodate a new kitchen, dining, informal living space and utility room. An office, WC and new bedroom are contained in a two-storey volume, which we created by extruding the main house to the side.
A sense of depth is introduced by folding it inwards below lintel level. However, the window to the dining area is kept flush with the wall to form a window seat. Sliding-folding doors open onto a brick patio. The interior consists of brick, an oiled European oak bench and window linings and a polished concrete floor with underfloor heating. A centrally-placed bespoke kitchen and island create a new gathering point for family life.
Project Type Extension & Refurbishment
Location Terenure, Dublin 6W
Status Completed 2021
Contractor Drumore Construction Ltd.
Photography Ste Murray
37 North Great George’s Street,
Dublin 1, Ireland, D01 A3F8